In South Africa there is definitely no better smell than the smell of boerewors on the braai. No matter where you are, it lures you with that distinct delicous smell. With this Boerie Relish recipe you can be the talk of the town, whether you stay home for the festive season or not…. We will definitely be making this recipe while on holiday this festive season.
Serves 4 – 6
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- two to three tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 sprigs of thyme (finely chopped) – you can also use half a handfull of chopped fresh basil
- pinch of ground cumin
- pinch of chilli powder (add more if you like it HOT)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (the proper italian type)
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons of fruity chutney
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a small pot.
- Add onions, thyme/basil, cumin, chilli, garlic and masala and shallow fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and shallow fry for another minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and salt and papper to taste.
- Once the sauce is boiling, turn the heat down very low and simmer slowly for about 30 minutes for the flavours to “marry”.
- Serve on a boerewors roll and enjoy with your favourite boerewors fresh from the braai.