Traditionally South African, perfect for the cold, biltong soup is just what you need for dinner!
- 125 ml butter
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 10 ml coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 ml whole nutmeg, grated
- 2 ml freshly ground coriander
- 250 ml cake flour
- 500 ml milk
- 2 litre boiling water
- 250 ml coarsely grated Cheddar cheese
- 300 g finely sliced moist biltong
- cream and port to taste
- 100 g grated blue cheese (optional – i like to grate over some parmesan or matured cheddar)
- bread sticks or toast slices for serving
- Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Crumble the stock cubes and add along with the spices.
- Add the flour and heat, stirring continually until the flour begins to simmer.
- Mix the milk and boiling water, and slowly stir into the flour mixture.
- Stirring continually, heat slowly over medium heat until the mixture begins to simmer and thicken (like a white sauce).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Cheddar cheese and half the biltong. Do not bring the mixture to boil again.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Stir in a little cream and port just before serving if desired.
- Ladle the hot soup into deep soup bowls and scatter a little of the remaining biltong and crumbled blue cheese on top.
- Serve with bread sticks.