The festive season is all about family time, and what better family time do we as South Africans know than a good and proper BRAAI. This basting sauce is amazing, works with any type of meat, red, white, and especially some yummy pork ribs.
Makes about 1 litre
- 400g treacle sugar/caramel sugar
- 400ml soy sauce
- 300ml balsamic vinegar
- 8 bay leaves
- 5 Tbsp of paprika
- 1 – 2 tsp peri-peri
- 5 tsp of garlic flakes
- 5 tsp of mixed dried herbs
- 80 ml of tomato paste
- smoked flavour tabasco (optional and to taste)
- In a saucepan, heat the sugar, soy and balsamic vinegar over moderate heat.
- Allow the sugar to dissolve before adding the remaining ingredients.
- Cook the sauce for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Allow to cool down.
- You can marinate your pork ribs in this mixture or use it as a basting for meat on the braai.
- Baste your meat regularly and turn the meat regularly to prevent the marinade from burning.