Tired of the old fashioned bacon eggs and toast for breakfast? Why not start of your sport filled weekend with something different and unique and incredibly delicious.
- 450 g lasagna noodles
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1 cup cheddar
- 1 cup ricotta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 450 g raw loose breakfast sausage (just squeeze the meat from the casings)
- 1 onion
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Make the sauce: Brown up the sausage and remove from the pan.
- In the same pan, cook the onions to lightly brown.
- Add in the butter and flour and stir well, cooking for about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and add the sausage back in.
- Strain the diced tomatoes and stir into the sauce.
- Cook the noodles in a pot of boiling water until tender.
- In a small bowl, crack and whisk two eggs.
- Prepare a frying pan to cook the eggs that is the same size as your round baking dishes. (you are going to make something like an omelet)
- In the baking dish, start with a thin layer of sauce, followed by the first layer of noodles, then some more sauce and all three cheeses. Cook the first egg round for only a few minutes without flipping until it has just barely set on top.
- Transfer the egg to the top of the noodles then repeat with another layer of everything.
- Top with a final pasta layer and a little more cheese and sauce and bake at 200 degrees celsius for about 15 minutes.
- If you want to save this in the fridge or freezer, that’s fine, but I would suggest boiling the pasta a little less and baking it for a bit longer before serving.
- Recipe makes enough for two 20 cm baking rounds.