Cottage Pie is a meat based pie with a mashed potato crust. Perfect comfort food for the Monday blues…….or any other weekday blues for that matter. Simple and easy with this step-by-step recipe.
- 6 medium potatoes – peeled (and milk and butter for mash)
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 beef stock cube (sometimes i use oxtail for a little more richness)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil for frying
- 1 tbsp garlic and lemon spice mix
- 3-4 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup grated cheddar to sprinkle on top of mash
- Peel the potatoes, slice in half and boil until soft.
- Fry the onion in the cooking oil until soft.
- Add the mince, garlic & lemon mix, stock cube and water to the onions.
- Once the mince is sealed and has a nice brown colour to it, add the mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, rosemary, thyme and oregano.
- Mix together well.
- Allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Once everything is cooked, add the mixture to a round casserole dish.
- Mash the potatoes, add some milk and butter to create a soft even consistency (it should not be runny).
- Now spread the mash potato evenly over the mince mixture and then sprinkle with cheese (this is optional but tastes delicious!).
- Place the dish under the grill for a few minutes and allow cheese to melt and turn golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Enjoy with a fresh green salad.