The last day of yet another long weekend, and sleeping in is definitely on the agenda. With the sun hinting towards noon as you get out of bed, brunch is the way to go.
Serves: 4 – 6
- 500 g breakfast sausage (pork or beef)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 red and 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups of cheese, shredded and divided into two bowls
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 700 g frozen, shredded hashbrowns, defrosted (you can buy them in the frozen food section)
- 7 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 ml garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Brown sausage with onion and pepper in a frying pan until no longer pink.
- Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Mix in cheese, reserving some to sprinkle over the top, sour cream, soup and hash browns.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the top of the meat/potato mixture.
- Bake uncovered for one hour.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese for the last 10 minutes of cooking time.