On a Sunday afternoon, when we have lunch at my parents house, my Dad always asks my mom: “So..what have you planned for dessert” and my Mom’s answer – there’s ice cream in the fridge. So what can you whip up at the last minute knowing you have all the ingredients you need?
Courtesy of one of Jamie Oliver’s outstanding recipes, this is an easy and simply delicious recipe.
- 55 g butter
- 115 g sugar
- grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 55 g self-raising flour
- 285 ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Cream the butter, sugar and lemon rind in a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg yolks and flour and beat in, then add the milk and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and mix well.
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff, then add the rest of the mixture.
- Mix it all well but don’t over-mix it; you don’t want the air to come out of the egg whites.
- Pour into a buttered ovenproof dish, stand the dish in a roasting tin about a third full of water, then bake in your preheated oven for about 45 minutes until the top is set and spongy and it’s a nice golden colour.
- Serve as is, or with vanilla ice cream.