One of our favourite foods at TheYellowcap house is definitely Oxtail. The flavourful, sticky, juicy flavours that can be enjoyed with rice, maize or our favourite some buttered samp. This recipe can also be made in a pressure cooker and will take about half of the time of a potjie on the braai. The perfect potjie to enjoy on a #SuperRugby Saturday.
Serves: 4 – 6
- 1kg Oxtail
- 10 slices Bacon cut in 3cm pieces
- 1 can tomato paste (or 2 pkt tomato paste)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 6 black peppercorns
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 6 large leeks, chopped coarsely
- 2 large onions, chopped coarsely
- 6 large carrots, chopped coarsely
- 20 button mushrooms
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- Dry oxtails with paper towel. Put seasoned flour in a Ziplock bag, then add the Oxtail and shake to coat with flour.
- Heat butter and olive oil and sauté bacon pieces. Remove bacon and brown Oxtail in resulting fat, remove and drain.
- Finely dice 4 of the carrots. Coarsely chop the onions and the leeks.
- Add the finely diced carrots, leeks, onions and sauté until softened
- Add Oxtail, bacon, thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns, garlic, tomato sauce, red wine, sherry.
- Bring slowly to a boil and cook slowly for 3 – 4 hours.
- 1 Hour before serving cut the remaining carrots into 1 inch pieces, add them and mushrooms and continue cooking slowly.
- Just prior to serving, add cream and stir in.
- If you want to thicken the sauce mix some cornstarch with the cream before adding.