With this Pure South African Chicken Liver Pate recipe you can create a culinary masterpiece open sandwich that will leave your mates speechless. This recipe is also ideal for a nice light lunch.
Firstly you have to make your Chicken Liver Pate and let it set overnight.
Pure South African Chicken liver pate
Makes about 500 ml
- 250 g chicken livers (defrosted)
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive or grapeseed oil
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon red masala
- 2 tablespoons Mrs Balls Chutney
- Aromat and crushed black pepper to taste
- 20 ml KWV 3 year Brandy
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- Nando’s Bushveld Braai Sauce (to taste) – I used about 6 tablespoons to give it a nice bite.
- 250 g melted butter
- Shallow fry the chopped onion, smoked paprika, red masala and oil in a small pot/saucepan until golden brown.
- Add the livers and shallow fry until livers are cooked on a low heat.
- Add Aromat, black pepper and chutney.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Blitz the liver mixture with a hand blender until smooth and creamy.
- Add chopped dill, Bushveld sauce and brandy and mix well.
- Stir in melted butter and mix well.
- Pour mixture in a mould or small moulds and put in the fridge to set for at least 5 hours or overnight.
For the Sandwich:
Makes 1 Ryvita open sandwich
- 2 tablespoons Chicken liver pate
- ½ handful rocket salad leaves
- 4 parmesan shavings (you can make the shavings by using a vegetable peeler)
- Ground black pepper
- 1 slice Ryvita with Pumpkin Seeds
- Spread the chicken liver pate on the base of the Ryvita.
- Place the rocket salad leaves on top.
- Sprinkle parmesan shavings over.
- Finish off with a generous grating of black pepper.