An all time South African favourite is definitely Pickled Fish. This recipe is definitely one of my favourites and it is so easy. Perfect for the Easter Weekend!!
- 5 Kg hake fillets, frozen
- Flour for coating fish
- Oil for frying
- For the curry sauce:
- 4 large onions sliced into rings
- 750 ml white or brown vinegar
- 500 ml water
- 750 ml brown sugar
- 30 ml Medium Curry Powder
- 10 ml Turmeric
- 10 ml salt
- 5 ml Ginger (ground)
- 16 black peppercorns
- 45ml Brown Onion Soup mixed with a little water to form a smooth paste
- Coat the frozen fish in flour and pan-fry in heated oil until cooked.
- Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- In a large saucepan mix all the ingredients for the curry sauce except the Brown Onion Soup.
- Boil uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked fish and the Brown Onion Soup.
- Stir gently until the sauce thickens then allow to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Cool and spoon into a non-metal container.
- Store covered in the fridge.
*** the longer you store it in the fridge the better it gets….but remember, don’t over do it, it is fish at the end of the day