One of the best bread recipes that I know of. Growing up this was something that my mom made a lot and every time she made this, the bread didn’t even get a chance to get cold… There are so many variations to this bread. A favorite in our house is definitely the oxtail flavour with extra cheese. 3 Ingredients are all you need. This bread will literally take you 5 minutes to make.
500g self-raising flour
500 ml buttermilk
1 packet soup powder (oxtail or brown onion is definitely my favourite ones to use)
1 cup of grated cheddar (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- Mix flour, buttermilk, soup powder and cheese together in a mixing bowl.
- Spray a bread loaf tin/ or any other bowl or ovenproof container.
- Place in oven and bake for about 1 hour. (You can test your bread by placing a sharp knife in the middle of the bread, if the knife comes out and the blade is clean, your bread is cooked.)
- Cool down slightly and slice.
- Serve with butter.
** You can add other ingredients to your bread mixture like chopped ham, bacon, spring onion, fresh or dried chillies, sundried tomatoes, fresh herbs etc. The possibilities are endless