Bobotie, is a South African dish consisting of spiced minced meat baked with an egg-based topping. It is an all-time South African favourite. Now we are simply combining it with another South African favourite.
Serves 2 – 4
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) / 230 g lean mince, cooked
- 500 ml (2 cups) samp, cooked
- 50 ml sultanas / raisins
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- pinch of pepper
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sugar
- 50 ml (1/5 cup) vinegar
- 20 ml (4 tsp) curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 egg
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) low fat milk
1. Preheat oven to 180 C.
2. Heat the oil in a pan or spray a little oil spray in a pan and sauté the onion and apple until translucent.
3. Mix all the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl except the egg and milk.
4. Spray an ovenproof dish with oil spray or grease the ovenproof dish with a small amount of oil using a paper serviette / towel.
5. Transfer the meat mixture to the ovenproof dish. Stick the bay leaf into the mixture. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. Beat the egg and add the milk. Pour this mixture over the meat and bake for another 5 minutes until milk mixture is cooked and enjoy.