Sosatie – an all time favourite Cape Malay flavour that is own to South Africa as Ostrich biltong, Koeksisters and “Melktert”. Lamb or Pork chops can be used for this recipe, knowing my hubby, he would prefer the pork chops.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed with the side of a knife
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder (if you like it somewhat hot you can use a stronger curry powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled & chopped
- 375ml water
- 50ml grape vinegar
- 25ml smooth apricot jam
- 2 bay leaves
- Shallow fry the onion and garlic in a saucepan until soft.
- Reduce heat and add the curry powder, spices and ginger.
- Fry lightly for 2 minutes.
- Add water, vinegar, jam and bay leaves, and simmer on a low heat for 2 minutes.
- Arrange the chops in a glass bowl.
- Cover with the mixture and marinate for a day in the fridge, turning over occasionally.
- Braai the chops over hot coals basting your chops regularly.