For us as a family, Christmas means going to the beach, having fun in the sun and enjoying the outdoors. The smell of a braai, brings back so many memories of growing up next to the rolling waves of Buffels Bay. This recipe will definitely fit into anyone’s holiday plans as it is also done on the braai.
GRILLED MARINATED PRAWNS
- 250 ml olive oil
- 25 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 50 ml hot pepper sauce (like tabasco sauce)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pkt tomato paste
- 5 ml dried oregano
- 20 ml salt
- 5 ml ground black pepper
- 1 kg black tiger prawns, peeled and deveined with tails attached
- In a mixing bowl, mix together olive oil, parsley, lemon juice, hot sauce, garlic, tomato paste, oregano, salt, and black pepper.
- Reserve a small amount for basting later.
- Pour remaining marinade into a large resealable plastic bag with prawns.
- Seal, and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- Thread shrimp onto skewers.
- Discard marinade. Lightly oil braai grill.
- Braai prawns for 5 minutes per side, or until opaque, basting frequently with reserved marinade.
- Serve with lemon wedges as a starter or main during the festive season.