Following on in our Friends of LaLiga recipes campaign, we share one of Spain’s best loved drinks.
Sangria is a beverage, common in Spain and Portugal. It normally consists of red wine, chopped fruit, a sweetener, and a small amount of added brandy. Sangria is best anytime, anywhere with good company and great food.
- 2 bottles chilled dry red wine
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup castor/superfine sugar
- 2 oranges, cut into thin rounds
- 2 lemons, cut into thin rounds
- 3 limes, cut into thin rounds
- 2 apples, cored and cut into 1 cm chunks
- 2 cups cold soda water
- In a large pot or bowl, combine the wine, brandy, orange juice, and sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the orange, lemon, and lime slices, the apples and refrigerate until well chilled, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator and add the soda.
- Serve in glasses over ice.