Veldt is a dense Namibian bread that can be literally translated as bread of the wild. It consists of whole wheat flour, milk, salt, sugar, and warming spices such as cinnamon and ginger. What a better way to enjoy the Italy and Namibia game with some freshly baked Veldt bread, lots of butter and topped off with some sliced game biltong. Breakfast of Champions!
Veldt Bread (Namibian bread)
- 50 g margarine
- 450 g whole-meal flour
- 20 ml baking powder
- 50 g brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 150 ml skimmed milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Mix in the sugar and spices,then add the margarine.
- Rub the margarine into the mix until it is crumbly.
- Form a well in the middle and pour in the milk and egg.
- Mix together into a stiff dough, and put on a floured board.
- Knead dough for 10 minutes until smooth.
- Grease the inside of a 900 g loaf tin with oil.
- Bake for around 45 minutes in a 200 °C oven.
- The cooked loaf should sound hollow when tapped.
- Turn onto a rack to cool, or let it rest for about 10 minutes and enjoy while still warm.